Adding activities is the next step you can do after you add a Project, and prepare a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) in Primavera.
There are a number of things you should have prepared before you add activities in Primavera.
Here are the things that you should have prepared before making a schedule for activities in the Primavera:
• Projects. You need to add a project in Primavera before creating an activity.
• Project Calendar. Primavera will automatically make the default calendar as your activity calendar. You need to define the default calendar in Primavera before creating an activity. The goal is efficiency, so you don’t need to change it again when creating activities. Calendar changes are made only for certain activities (if needed).
• Work Breakdown Structure. To make it easier for you to organize your activities. Also, read how to create WBS in Primavera.
• Duration of activity.
• Activity table (you can make in excel) which contains data: activity name, activity duration, activity relation, activity type.
Furthermore, in terms of the schedule rules adopted from PMI and DoD, there are some rules that you need to pay attention to when creating activities.
Scheduling Rules for Activities
The following are some rules for the activity schedule that you need to pay attention to:
• The name of the activity must be a verb.
• Activity names should not be the same.
• Activity with a long-duration need to be divided into more detail so that the duration is not more than 44 working days or 2 calendar months.
• Each activity has at least (at least) 1 successor and 1 predecessor.
• Try not to use more than 5 days of lag (according to DoD rules) and avoid using lag as a substitute for activity.
• Use minimal lag or no more than 5 percent of all activities (DoD rules).
• Use as few leads as possible. The DoD rule says that activity leads should not be used. If you are forced to use leads, don’t get it for more than 22 working days.
• Do not use a “hard” date constraint for more than 5 percent of all activity (according to DoD rules). Hard constraints are referred to as “Finish on or Before” or “Finish no Later Than”.
• According to the DoD Float, activity should not exceed 44 working days or 2 calendar months.
Here’s how to create an activity in Primavera:
How to Create Activities in Primavera
Suppose you have a project to build a Prima Office Building. You have prepared a number of activities to make this project a reality.
This project will be built with a predetermined activity duration and type of activity and use a project calendar of 5 working days.
The Prima Office Building South Project activity are:
|WBS||Act ID||Activity Name||Activity Type||Orig Dur|
|1||C1000||Start Construction (Commencement)||Start Milestone||0d|
|C1010||Site Preparation (authority permit, site clearance, utility protection)||Task Dependent||30d|
|C1030||Install Underground Water Lines||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1040||Install Underground Electrical Conduit||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1050||Form/Pour Concrete Footings||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1060||Form/Pour Concrete Walls||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1070||Form/Pour Concrete Slab||Task Dependent||5d|
|C1080||Backfill and Compact Fills||Task Dependent||2d|
|2||C1090||Erect Structural Frame||Task Dependent||20d|
|C1100||Floor Decking||Task Dependent||14d|
|C1110||Form/Pour Basement Slab and Floors||Task Dependent||25d|
|C1120||Erect Stairwall and Elevator Walls||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1130||Install Interior Wall Frame||Task Dependent||15d|
|3.1||C1140||Set Mechanical and Electrical Equipment||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1150||Rough-in Plumbing/Electrical/Mechanical||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1160||Install Wiring and Cable||Task Dependent||15d|
|3.2||C1170||Install Elevator Rails and Equipment||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1180||Install Elevator Cabinet and Finishes||Task Dependent||5d|
|4||C1190||Brick Interior Walls||Task Dependent||28d|
|C1200||Install Exterior Doors and Windows||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1210||Insulation and Builtup Roofing||Task Dependent||15d|
|5.1||C1220||Drywall in Offices||Task Dependent||15d|
|C1230||Paint Building Interior||Task Dependent||20d|
|5.2||C1240||Install Plumbing Fixtures||Task Dependent||2d|
|C1250||Install Lighting Fixtures||Task Dependent||3d|
|5.3||C1260||Install Carpeting||Task Dependent||5d|
|C1270||Install Floor Finishes||Task Dependent||7d|
|6||C1280||Punchlist/Touchup and Cleanup||Task Dependent||5d|
|C1290||Complete Construction||Finish Milestone||0d|
In the table above, in the left column there is information about the WBS code where the activity will be added. The next column is Act ID whose code will be determined by Primavera by default. You can change the Act ID manually according to the ID you want.
The next column is Activity Type. There are several options for Activity Type:
• Start Milestone
• Finish Milestone
• Dependent Resources
• Task Dependent
• Level of Effort
• WBS Summary
In the above project the Activity Type is Task Dependent by default.
Other default settings you need to do at the project level are:
Duration type : Fixed Duration and Units.
% Complete type : Physical.
Activity Calendar : Office 5-Day Calendar.
The following are the initial steps to adding activity (task):
- From the Main Menu choose Project then select Activities, or from the Directory Bar click icon Activities.
- Position cursor at the first WBS <Foundation>, from the Command Bar click icon Add (+) to add.
- Click the General tab define the values for each of the following fields :
Activity Enter <C1010> <Site Preparation>
Activity Type Pick <Task Dependent>
Duration Type Pick <Fixed Duration and Units>
% Complete type Pick <Physical>
Activity Calendar Select <Office 5-Day Calendar>
- Click the Status tab, in the Original Duration field enter <30d>
- Click the Steps tab, click icon Add (+).
- In the Step Name column enter <Install Fence>, in the Weight column enter <2>
- For more detail in an activity C1010, complete the steps as shown:
<Site Office> 4
<Install Utility> 2
Complete all the activities (in the table).
The relationship between the activities are :
- From the Main Menu choose Project then select Activities or from the Directory Bar click icon Activities.
- Click the Successor tab, position cursor at activity <C1000> <Begin Construction> then click Assign.
- Position cursor at <C1010 Site Preparation> then click icon Assign to confirm selection then click to complete.
- In the Relationship column select SS (Start to Start) relationship.
- In the Lag column, enter <0d>.
- Complete the relationship.
- To obtain Activity Network View click icon Activity Network.
- To return to Table View click icon Table or Gantt Chart.